- Natural makeup looks best on evened-out skin. Try Revlon ColorStay Mineral Foundation in Fair ($14, at drugstores).
- For allover glow: Shiseido The Makeup Accentuating Color Stick in Champagne Flush ($32, Sephora)
- Four blendable colors, one sweet flush. Guerlain Blush 4 Éclats in Rosée Du Printemps ($48,Nordstrom).
- For lips and cheeks: Finger-blend! Givenchy Pocket Beauty Case in Sweet Dandy ($55, Sephora).
- The ideal barely there rose. Bobbi Brown Lip Color in Pale Mauve ($22, Bobbi Brown).
If your skin is medium . . .
You’ve got lots of wiggle room when you’re shopping for shades, since you’re smack dab in the middle of the skin-tone spectrum. Play around with pinks, browns, whatever! Try pairing a bronzy-pink blush with a pale, shiny lip gloss. Some good rules of thumb no matter what flavor your skin is: Pick a creamy texture. “Sheer nudes look like nothing,” says Brown. And to add wattage for night, use lots of mascara and smudge a shimmery powder on the inner corners of your eyes.
- Go darker on lids, lighter above the crease. Revlon Beyond Natural Cream to Powder Eye Shadow in Plumberry ($8, at drugstores).
- Your everyday, no-brainer shade. Laura Mercier Lip Colour in Dusk ($22, Laura Mercier).
- Layer it on any color for sexy shine. Smashbox Wicked Lovely Lip Gloss in Sweet ($18, Smashbox).
- Sweep it along your cheekbones. Smashbox Wicked Lovely Blush Rush in Charm ($24, Smashbox).
- Add grown-up sparkle. Flirt! Shimmer Rocks All Over Illuminator in Peach Glow ($16, Kohls)
- Try a deeper nude at night. Dior Ultra-Gloss Reflect in Lace Beige ($25, Sephora)
If your skin is dark . . .
Bronze is your happy color: Warm, brown-based hues bring out the glow of deep complexions. Play around with the new shimmery coppers and mochas for eyes and cheeks; metallic flecks look extra gorgeous on you. “Or just use a dark bronzer,” says Brown. For lips, one shade does not fit all. If your mouth is pinkish do a lighter color. If yours is more browny, try a caramel gloss or a rich, chocolaty shade. In general, says Brown, “You know it’s a good nude for you if it works with no other makeup on.”
- A nude wardrobe for your lids. YSL 5 Colour Harmony for Eyes in N°1 ($56, Yves Saint Laurent).
- Dust on brow bones. Estée Lauder Creme Caramel Shimmer Powder ($32, Estée Lauder).
- Dresses up lips and your makeup bag. Estée Lauder Pure Color Swirl Gloss in Caramel Swirl ($18, Estée Lauder)
- Tap on lipstick for that stain effect. MAC Lipstick in Dangerously Hot ($14, MAC Cosmetics)
- Look like you’re not wearing a thing. Prestige Skin Loving Fresh Glow Baked Mineral Blush in Natural ($8, at drugstores)